[log in to unmask]" alt=""> Office of the President

June 14, 2013

From:  Tom Sullivan, President
            Robert Low, Interim Provost

To:      UVM Community

RE:      Dean of the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences Appointment – Dr. Luis Garcia

We are pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Luis Garcia as Dean of the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences at The University of Vermont, effective August 15, 2013. In addition, Dr. Garcia has been named the Barrett Foundation Professor in the College.

Dr. Garcia is currently Head of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Colorado State University and Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering.  Dr. Garcia has been a member of the Colorado State University faculty since 1991, and has served in his current position since 2005.  He also serves as the Director of the Integrated Decision Support Group in The Water Center at Colorado State University. A group that he created shortly after arriving at Colorado State University. In addition, he served as the Associate Director of the Colorado Agricultural Experiment Station for five years.

Dr. Garcia is an accomplished researcher, with 54 refereed papers published or in press in the leading civil or environmental engineering publications and over 150 presentations at conferences, symposia or workshops. His primary area of research is Decision Support Systems, calculations of evapotranspiration (ET), remote sensing of ET, and spatial analysis in natural systems, specifically in applications for water resources and irrigation and drainage. He has been the single principal investigator on over 70 projects with a total funding of over $6 million. As Director of the Integrated Decision Support Group, he has been the principal investigator or co-principal investigator on more than 95 funded projects with total funding over $12 million.  He is an active member of the America Society of Civil Engineers and is an elected member of the United States Committee on Irrigation and Drainage.  For a more detailed articulation of Dr. Garcia’s professional background, please look for the press release on his appointment on the UVM home page: http://www.uvm.edu/ .

We wish to thank the faculty, staff, and students who served on the Search Committee, so ably chaired by Dr. Sanjay Sharma along with vice chair Dr. Darren Hitt, for their outstanding efforts to bring this search to such a positive conclusion.

We also want to extend special appreciation to Interim Dean Chip Cole for his dedication and leadership, that he has brought to this important position.

We hope all members of our community will give Dr. Garcia and his family a warm welcome to UVM when he begins his work as Dean over the summer.

Cc:      University of Vermont Board of Trustees