When you run Leber hereditary[tiab] and look in the details you will see
that PubMed is assuming it is a phrase, therefore really what it is running
is "Leber hereditary"[tiab] and only producing results where those words
appear right next to each other and in that order.

Leber[tiab] AND hereditary[tiab] brings out results where "Leber"
and "hereditary" appear at least once, independent of each other.

--
Susan Fowler, MLIS
Medical Librarian

Evidence at Becker:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/ebm

Systematic Reviews Guide:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/SystematicReviews

Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis
314-362-8092