From: Jim Mead
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] A few shorebirds in Hinesburg

Hi all,

I just got back from Lagoon Rd. in Hinesburg. There is a nice muddy area
with some water in it on the right (or east) side of Lagoon Rd. just before
the solar panels. I counted 2 Semipalmated Plovers there along with 12
Killdeer. There is also a watering tub (for the Black Angus there) on the
east side of the road (about 1/2 way between the Hinesburg/Charlotte Rd. and
the solar panels). Directly west of the watering tank (and on the west side
of the road) is another muddy area with water in it, about 50' from the
road. I counted 20 Least Sandpipers there.

This is the very beginning of the southward shorebird migration and with the
water level being so high in Lake Champlain, the birds are probably going to
be searching for flooded/muddy spots in fields. Hopefully the one in front
of the solar panels will remain for a while because it will likely be a
welcoming stop for other shorebirds passing through.

Good luck to any that may try finding the ones that I saw and even more luck
to those trying to find some new species !!!

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead