Hi Chris,

At  Branbury State Park today where there are usually Barn swallows swarming it seemed to me
there were far less than in past years.  two park employees agreed with me.  I found 3 active nests
and 6 adults.

Enjoy the rest of the birding season, Mark Paul

On Jul 15, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Jim Christina Runcie wrote:

> My neighbor is a dairy farmer in Starksboro and he's concerned about barn
> swallows this year. He says they arrived on schedule and built nests, but
> then left his barn without raising any young and there aren't any hanging
> around on the phone wires. Has anyone else noticed a lack of barn swallows?
> Thanks for your thoughts,
> Chris
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM, VTBIRD automatic digest system <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> There are 6 messages totaling 197 lines in this issue.
>>
>> Topics of the day:
>>
>>  1. Osprey question
>>  2. Lamoille Osprey chick
>>  3. summer tanagers
>>  4. Kent Pond & AT - July 14
>>  5. Monthly Missisquoi NWR Bird Monitoring Walk (2)

>> Date:    Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:55:14 +0000
>> From:    b flewelling <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Osprey question
>>
>> Yesterday, I watched a pair of Osprey building a nest.  This was in the
>> top of a snag on an island off Long Point in North Ferrisburg.
>>
>> My question is will the Osprey attempt to nest this late in the season or
>> are they starting a nest for next year?
>>

>> Bruce Flewelling
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date:    Sun, 14 Jul 2013 08:40:07 -0400
>> From:    Horace Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: Lamoille Osprey chick
>>
>> Yesterday we saw an adult and one young osprey on the newly moved osprey
>> nest in the Burlington intervale, along the Route 127 bike path.      The
>> nest had been on a power line pole but was moved to its own pole in late
>> spring.  A couple of weeks ago we distinctly saw two young.
>>
>> Good birding to all -- Horace, Winooski
>>

>> On Saturday, July 13, 2013, Jane Stein wrote:
>>
>>> It's so cool to watch!  I have seen the same recently in the Osprey nest
>>> on top of a silo just up the road from me.  It's tough to figure out just
>>> what's going on since Osprey nests are typically so deep that an adult
>> deep
>>> in the nest only shows a head above the rim and can look in lousy light
>>> like a hatchling.  But because of just what you say, an adult perched on
>>> the rim and another bird in the nest at this time of year, it's clear the
>>> one in the nest is a youngster.  Yay!
>>>
>>> (I believe the "necklace" isn't definitive, since some males have them,
>>> too, but it is suggestive.)
>>>
>>> Jane
>>>
>>> Shoreham

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date:    Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:06:52 -0400
>> From:    Sarah Fellows <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: summer tanagers
>>
>> I was told by an association member of a group of cabins we have at The
>> Carry in North Hero, that she and others heard and saw both male and female
>> summer tanager last weekend. They had a bird book and positively identified
>> the birds.Unfortunately for me, they were not present this weekend.
>>
>> Sally Fellows

> [...]

Mark Paul
Wildlife Videographer
Birding From Home Birding Videos

Pileated Woodpecker feeds young at nest

Female Indigo Bunting incubates while the male sings