A camping trip to Maidstone State Park and the surrounding area was pretty productive bird-wise despite the late season this past week.

Highlights included an Olive-sided Flycatcher along Paul Stream Road, not far from Maidstone, a Merlin at the Maidstone State Park Day Use Area, and singing Swainson's Thrushes near the campground.

We also saw Canada Warblers carrying food for young in several spots. Other warblers included Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Magnolia (lots!), Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Blue, Yellow-rumped and Black-throated Green. Hermit Thrushes and Winter Wrens were singing up a storm everywhere.

We saw and heard one Boreal Chickadee near the entrance to the Moose Bog Trail on South America Pond Road and heard a Gray Jay at Silvio Conte NWR.

57 species, 13 eBird checklists submitted.

Sue and Marv Elliott