Friends,

Several asked for any responses I got to my question of a checklist for in vitro studies (lab based).

Paul Levett from Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University in Washington, DC told me that in the Systematic Review workshop at UPitt Med Ctr Falk Library they recommend using the PRISMA guidelines for reporting systematic reviews.  I reported to my student they could use these guidelines and then possibly the University of Glascow's checklist for Diagnosis or Harm/Causation http://www.gla.ac.uk/researchinstitutes/healthwellbeing/research/generalpractice/ebp/checklists/#d.en.19536 to find information for extracting data.  Either way I said she would need to probably create her own template to be used for each article.  Paul mentioned that Himmelfarb has a LibGuide on Systematic reviews at http://libguides.gwumc.edu/content.php?pid=252810&sid=2087176.

Ruth Mitchell from Australia suggested that I look at Equator network http://www.equator-network.org/resource-centre/library-of-health-research-reporting. When clicking under Systematic Reviews a link to the CDC's HuGENet website comes up.  They have a guide for doing reviews. Handbook of Systematic Reviews http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca/public-health-genomics/web/assets/documents/HuGE_Review_Handbook_V1_0.pdf    They say on the website that "Authors should also apply the Venice guidelines http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/hugenet/file/print/pub_assessment.pdf to rate the credibility of cumulative evidence.

So I was happy this student asked this question because I did not know that HuGENet had its own method of evaluating the evidence and completing systematic reviews.   I have the database bookmarked to search but never went to the CDC actual webpage for it.

Thanks to Paul and Ruth for helping me out with this.

Julie

Julia M. Esparza, MLS, AHIP
Clinical Medical Librarian
LSUHSC - Shreveport, LA