From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marix, Mary
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 3:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Besieged by Summer Students?

To me, this is the whole issue.  The faculty making the assignments have no clue as to what goes into a true, rigorous systematic review.  They just use the latest buzzword.  And they are giving the students a whole, wrong notion of systematic reviews.

From what I have been taught, a systematic review can be expected to take from 1 to 1 1/2 years to do well.  Usually several people are involved as thousands of articles must be assessed and perhaps dozens of databases used.  And rigorous records must be kept of search strategies used for each database.  And then, for the most promising articles, reference lists are reviewed and pertinent articles retrieved, manually!

Have these faculty (and students) ever read a Cochrane or Joanna Briggs Review?  Doing so might give them an idea of the work that went into it.

These faculty would be better serving their students if they just assigned an ordinary literature review which covered a substantial number of years and had the student write it up as though for publication.

Mary
Mary L. Marix, M.L.S., AHIP   ([log in to unmask]) Reference Librarian Library, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans
433 Bolivar St., Box B3-1, New Orleans, LA  70112-7021
(504) 568-8339   http://www.lsuhsc.edu/NO/Library/

<snip>
>The people who need educating are the faculty staff who don't know what
>is required and are setting up the student for disappointment and a
>feeling of inadequacy. I do also sometimes wonder if they really mean a
>systematic review.--Megan Clark<
<snip>