Tom Craig reminded me that using quotes actually searches a phrase index.
I called NLM to verify that they still use a phrase index and not just
google searching.  They said it is still a phrase index but they've been
adding more phrases all of the time.  If you have a suggestion for a
phrase, just contact them at:  [log in to unmask]

They said that the index feature is the best way to do something similar to
adjacency.

They had a lot more information, and let me know if you want me to share
it.  They are e-mailing me a link.

Thanks Tom!

Jana