Abstracts are due on 4 October 2013
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting your abstract to the
Biogenic carbonate proxy records of the carbon and nitrogen cycles session at Ocean Sciences Meeting 2014, which is going to be held in beautiful Hawaii. The session information is noted below. If you have any questions feel free to contact either of us. We hope to see you in Hawaii next February.

With warm regards,

Al Wanamaker ([log in to unmask]), Iowa State University

David Gillikin ([log in to unmask]), Union College

Ocean Sciences Meeting 2014, February 23-28 (http://www.sgmeet.com/osm2014/default.asp)

Biogenic carbonate proxy records of the carbon and nitrogen cycles (SS#156)
Submitted by:
David Gillikin, Alan Wanamaker

Carbon and nitrogen isotopes in biogenic carbonates have the potential to provide substantial information about past and present biogeochemical cycles. However, the relationship between carbon isotopes in biogenic carbonates and dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) is rarely straightforward. There are metabolic carbon, pH, and growth and age related effects on carbon isotopes in bivalves, corals, foraminifera, coccolithophores and other calcifying organisms. Carbonate bound organics also may hold a record of nitrogen cycling, but this proxy has just recently been investigated. We seek contributions involving research that aims to further our understanding about the carbon and nitrogen isotope proxy in marine and freshwater biogenic carbonates as well as paleorecords and novel techniques involving these proxies.

Abstracts are due on 4 October 2013
--
Assistant Professor
Iowa State University

Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (515) 294-5142
Fax: (515) 294-6049

Stable Isotope and Paleo Environments Research Group (SIPERG)
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~siperg/
Phone: (515) 294-6090 (Stable Isotope Lab)