Hi everyone,

            On behalf of Matt McCarthy, Brian Popp, and myself, I would like draw your attention to our session on compound-specific stable isotope analysis (CSIA) in population and community ecology to be held at the February 2014 Ocean Sciences Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii. We welcome a broad range of submissions for work applying CSIA of organic biomarkers (amino acids, fatty acids, carbohydrates, etc.) in applications ranging from trophic and movement ecology to microbial processing of organic matter.

The session abstract is copied below. Abstracts are due October 4th, 2013, and please feel free to forward this message to anyone interested in CSIA that we may have missed.

 Hope to see you all in Hawaii next February!

 Cheers from the session organizers,

Kelton McMahon, Matt McCarthy, and Brian Popp

153 - Using Compound-Specific Stable Isotope Analysis to Advance Population and Community Ecology

Ecogeochemistry is the application of geochemical techniques to fundamental questions in population and community ecology and has increased dramatically over the last few decades. Tracking how carbon, nitrogen, and energy move through food webs is critical to understanding the structure, function, and resilience of complex ecosystems. Improved specificity of these studies has been made possible by using the compound-specific stable isotope analysis (CSIA) of specific biochemical compounds, including amino acids, carbohydrates, and fatty acids. CSIA is a rapidly expanding field that provides enhanced geographic and trophic resolution beyond conventional bulk isotope analysis, allowing for novel examination of a wide range of interconnected topics, including diet and trophic dynamics, animal physiology and migration patterns, as well as microbial symbioses and processing of organic matter. This session focuses on advances in the application of CSIA to ecological, physiological, and biogeochemical questions in marine and freshwater environments. We encourage submissions that discuss new techniques and approaches, as well as specific environmental applications.

Organizers

Kelton McMahon , University of California-Santa Cruz

Matt McCarthy , University of California-Santa Cruz

Brian Popp , University of Hawaii-Manoa

Kelton W. McMahon, Ph.D.
Ocean Sciences Department
University of California, Santa Cruz