Hello,

We are running amino acid standards on a Trace GC with an HP-Ultra 1 column and Delta V Plus and are getting very small peak sizes (<1V). Our column parameters are: length=50m; 0.32 diameter; 0.52 film thickness. Carrier flow rate is 2.0 ml/min. We recently changed from a 30m column with a 0.25 diameter. We were getting much larger peaks (~10X the size) with the old column, but were not getting enough separation. Can anyone tell us how we might increase peak size with our new column? Is it a matter of needing to increase the concentration of our samples by about 10X or are there changes in instrument settings that  you may suggest? Thank you very much.

Dana

Dana Biasatti
Assistant Research Scientist
University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
146 Williams Street
Solomons, MD 20688
(410) 326-7452