Hello folks:  We are rolling out the Education Superhighway SpeedTest collection again this Fall.  Different this round is a collection tool on the pricing that each school pays for broadband.  See instructions below.  Your participation in this collection window is much appreciated and helps us to focus on areas of the state where broadband needs are still a challenge.

Two dates to remember:

Oct. 7th, the tool opens for collection, Oct. 10, a webinar to answer questions on this new window of collection.  Info. below.

Participation Request / Webinar Invite to District IT Coordinators

This spring and summer, schools and districts across Vermont completed important upgrades to provide more online resources and opportunities to teachers and students. I am excited by this progress, and want keep our forward momentum so we can connect every school in VT to learning-ready Internet.

Our next goal is to reduce costs on hardware and connectivity, and promote pricing transparency, and get support for at-need schools – and work smarter by using data.

To do this quickly and without adding burden to busy districts, we’ve partnered with EducationSuperHighway to complete a Fall 2013 Vermont SchoolSpeedTest and Internet Pricing Portal cost-analysis.

Come to our webinar and Q+A:

October 10, at 3PM, EST.
You have been invited to an online meeting using join.me

Show start time by time zones (https://join.me/timezone/1381431600000/1381435200000)

Join the meeting: https://join.me/751-560-581

On PC or Mac, use any browser with Flash. Nothing to download.

On a phone or tablet, launch the join.me app (https://join.me/Scheduler/Utils/OpenJoinMeApp.aspx) and enter meeting code: 751-560-581

Join the audio conference:

No matter how you join the conference, everyone will be on the same audio call.

By phone:

1)    Dial +1.646.307.1990 (United States) Dialing from another country? Check our international numbers (http://help.join.me/knowledgebase/articles/149448-does-join-me-offer-international-conference-number). *

2)    Enter conference ID: 751-560-581#

By computer via internet:

Join the meeting, click the phone icon and select ‘Call via internet’. **

* Long distance charges may apply.

** A small download might be required.

Our partnership allows you to easily collect data from any staff member with an online tool that measures available bandwidth to a classroom device. Starting October 7th, any school staff person can go to http://partners.schoolspeedtest.org/vermont.html to test. This data will demonstrate the gains we’ve made and support district/state appeals for more upgrade funding,

As part of the Vermont Internet Pricing Portal, we will also be collecting your Form 471, Item 21 data so we can identify the best local prices, create pricing transparency, and increase schools’ buying-power so we can do more with limited budgets and implement high-impact upgrades.

For the VT IPP, please send all your Item 21 Attachments (Yr16, 2013-14 Form 471) by either:

·         Emailing your attachments to [log in to unmask], or

·         Submitting your attachments at http://www.educationsuperhighway.org/submit-your-data.html

Once the 2013 Vermont SchoolSpeedTest and Internet Pricing Portal ends, the Agency of Education and district IT directors will receive access to reports showing the bandwidth available in your schools, as well as what are the best-practice prices in Vermont so you can ensure you are getting the best deal for your next data-driven upgrade.

Thanks for your help in making this a success.

Peter

Peter Drescher

Education Technology Coordinator

Vermont Agency of Education

Integrated Support for Learning Division

120 State St.

Montpelier, VT  05620

Ph.: 802.828.5149

FAX: 802.828.0573