I can't remember who first posted about the bird, but they had it
right...it is a Sanderling...looks like an adult molting into
non-breeding plumage.

Allan

On 9/5/2013 9:08 AM, Ruth Stewart wrote:
> So ---- was there ever an opinion about this shorebird?    and the reasons why it's probably a ????
>
> Ruth Stewart
>
> E. Dorset, VT
>

>> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 08:41:10 -0400
>> From: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: [VTBIRD] Help with Sandpiper ID (way off topic)
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>      We were at Jones Beach on Long Island last week and saw a lot of medium sized sandpipers with black legs, a longish slightly downcurved bill, and dark eye stripe and neck ring.  We can't figure out what we saw.  They looked ploverish but the bill was too long and thin.
>> http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/LarryandMona/media/MysterySandpiper_zps2e461dbf.jpg.html
>>      We realize that this has very little to do with Vermont birds but would appreciate some help.
>>      Thanks,
>>          Larry and Mona

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
220L Aiken Center

81 Carrigan Drive
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910