Kent points out that the last report for a hummingbird in the state was
at our home here on the southern end of Snake Mountain in Cornwall last
year on September 29th.  We have never had hummingbird feeders.  But we
do have lots of flowers .. flowering shrubs, perennials, and annuals.
My note for the hummingbird that day was "feeding on garden flower."
Actually, our latest date here at home is October 2nd in 2011 (the note
reads "in and around gardens")

The eBird "Last Sighting" product actually lists the "most
recently-submitted record" in eBird for the time period requested -- not
the latest date in any year the bird has been observed.  So Kent
requested the years 1879-2012.  And indeed, in that time period the last
time [not the latest calendar date for the period] a Ruby-throated
Hummingbird was reported was September 29th, 2012. So, if you run a
query of the years 1879-2013 this morning, the latest record ["the most
recently-submitted record"] for the species is yesterday (yea Maeve!).

The easiest, but usually cumbersome, way to find a latest in the year
record is to use the distribution map for the species.  A look at
October-December map for Ruby-throated Hummingbird reveals nine other
early October observations scattered around the state as far back as
1973 (October 8th) to 2011 (October 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), and none for
November or December.  Only three of the observations have annotations
for where the bird was: two report garden flowers, one reports feeder.
The latest in the year recently mapped October observation is from David
Baird in Rutland on October 8th of 2009.

(Another way to look for the all-time latest-in-the-year date would be
to run the "Last Sighting" product for each year, one at a time, keeping
track of the dates.  For some species this is more convenient than using
the map, especially if you are interested in only a few years ... such
as the last 10 years.  It is also more convenient when the species is
very abundant in the beginning of a month but is all gone by the end of
the month ... since you can only produce maps based on whole months.)

Ian