Is this yet another example of a bureaucrat sitting at a city desk,
making rules about something s/he knows nothing about?  My favorite
example is from a nature preserve in Arizona.  A Southwestern Willow
Flycatcher (endangered) nest was found in a salt cedar/ tamarisk
(invasive alien).  The word came down to immediately stop eradication
of salt cedar.  As if the flycatchers hadn't had other places to nest
before the invasion!  Luckily, in this case, common sense soon
prevailed.  So I agree,  let's use common sense in this instance, too.

Jean Arrowsmith
Lincoln