Greetings, colleagues.
   I'm stumped.  Our hospital now has two staff members who want to wear skirts or dresses in the O.R. for religious reasons. One is an environmental assistant sometimes present during surgery, and the other a physician's surgical assistant.  Current policies state that scrubs shall be worn AND that they must be laundered on site rather than at home.  We have checked AORN standards (nothing specific found), our surgical educator has spoken to someone at AORN, and I've also checked CINAHL and (with wild but ultimately unproductive results) Google.  Nothing found on staff wearing dresses or skirts.
   Has anyone run across this before or know of a hospital policy that covers this?  The ladies here are Mennonite, but the issue probably isn't specific to one religion.  We're being asked, "If skirts and dresses in the OR are not an issue - prove it with documentation!"  So, two issues - first, what about that garb?  Second, what about hospital vs home laundering if a hospital permits skirts?
   Thanks for any new ideas or samples of policies you can provide!

Nancy Crossfield
Owen Medical Library
Saint Agnes Medical Ctr
Fresno, CA