Marshfield has been funding 100% of a high decutcible plan ($2,000/single, $4,000 employee) and VLCT says 70% of towns have that plan but I don't know how many towns fund the whole thing. We also pay $1,000 into a health savings account for each emloyee. To continue to hold the employee's risk to $3,000/family, we would need to fund the platinum plan and do an HRA. This will cost up to 26% more than we currently pay, if everyone meets their out of pocket max. It's hard to predict how much it will actually cost because we don't know how many health expenses the employees will have. My Board hasn't decided what to do yet.

Bobbi

At 10:10 AM 10/1/2013, you wrote:
How does this compare to what the town was paying before, percentage-wise and total?  Is it going to cost more to provide the same level of benefit?  I was surprised in a previous survey on this list to see that many towns pay the full cost of health insurance with no contribution from the employee.  It would be nice to know what the "standard" is ... if any ... Too bad the VLCT benefits survey doesn't include any composite or average data.  Somehow "the guys" from adjoining towns seem to be able to get together and compare who is getting what .... but the select board doesn't have the same access to comparable information.

So if any of you are willing to share this additional information (how the new benefit will compare to the previous benefit) it would be appreciated.

Diana Peduzzi
Woodbury

On 10/1/2013 8:09 AM, Town of Londonderry wrote:
Londonderry is voted to fund the platinum plan and fully fund an HRA for out of pocket.

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Town Clerk
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 2:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Municipal decisions regarding Vermont Health Connect and level of employee benefits

Our selectboard has decided to let employees choose which plan they want.  The town will fund up to the premium for the Platinum plan for a single person policy, and up to the premium for the Silver high deductible policy, again single person policy.  In addition, the town will fund an HSA for the high deductible policy if chosen by the employee.  This amount will represent the difference between what the town currently pays for health insurance (approx. $8,000/employee) and the premium for the high deductible policy in the health exchange.  The town is also looking into opening an HRA account for the difference between the Platinum premium and what the town currently pays for premiums.