Mike,

We just did an experiment with a brand new, never been used iPad Mini.
While going through the initial setup the person needed an iTunes account
(was given the option of creating one) but there was no requirement to
update the iOS from 6 to 7 or even to get updates to iOS 6.

I would suggest making it clear at Vermont Fest that the wi-fi is not
capable of supporting people updating their new iPads.  If everyone holds
off until they get home it should be OK.

Craig