We allow it, as long as use is within the acceptable use policy
guidelines.  It's not a guest network, we use 802.1x authentication, so
the Wifi is secured by a person's active directory username and password.
I will help a student negotiate setting up the authentication on a laptop
or tablet, because it's not as obvious how to do that as it is if we used
a single static key, but I draw the line at phones.  If they can figure it
out on their own, though, I don't stop them.

If I see anything I would normally question happening with BYO devices on
the network with respect to that policy, e.g. sustained communication
between the device and Facebook servers, I add the MAC address of the
device to the deny list on the DHCP server, and the device is banned until
it's owner sees me to complain the device can't connect any longer, and I
find out what the story is, or the device stays banned.

5 devices per student is 125 connections in a classroom, we'd need 3
access points per classroom to support that!

I'm beginning to hate iPhones, because no one ever shuts the Wifi off,
which means once someone connects it to our network once, for perhaps the
most educationally sound reason imaginable, every time they walk into the
building, it connects.  As they walk down the hall, it drops connections
as they get out of range, and hops on the nearest one, which may happen
multiple times in one trip from one classroom to another.

On my Droid, I put the power management widget right on my home screen,
and I only turn the wifi on when I want to use it. I do it to save battery
life, but it has the beneficial affect of not being on the Wifi when I
really don't need it to be.

So yeah, the BYO devices, especially iPhones, are causing headaches for
the access points.  We haven't decided yet what to do about it.  If and
when we implement 1:1, we probably will ban BYO devices, though.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418