Take a look at http://www.gclassfolders.com   It will create the folder structure similar to what you need.

As for documents getting deleted, only the owner can delete a document.  which means if Student A creates and puts a file into a shared folder (They are the owner) and Student B deletes it.   The file will still be in Student A's drive, but just unshared from everyone with access to the folder.

   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003
My Sites
 ~ Edlisten.com Educational Podcast

gClassFolders ~ Create Google folders for your class.