That twitter widget in my previous post is not the method I ended up using. Sorry if I misled anyone.

I ended up using the embed code from the Twitter widgets page and pasting it into a gadget "shell" ( a premade xml file that you remove a line from, as indicated by the author, and replace it with your embed code). The xml file is uploaded to the google site from More/Manage Sites/Attachments or any place on the web that you can upload to, to make it available by url. When you insert the gadget into a google web page you Insert using a URL and select your customized gadget.

Guess I should make a screen cast, right?