8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the two public DNS servers Google offers up.  I’m not sure what you will gain from that?

We, too had some problems with Google a couple years ago.  Most of it centered around bandwidth (we had heavy load at various times of the day) and with the older filter we used (linux box running Dan’s Guardian… this is basically the same thing as Untangle).  The poor little proxy server just couldn’t keep up with the volume of requests and it would differ them.  Replacing that made a huge difference, but we still had congestion issues which we eased a bit by doing some traffic shaping on the firewall.  The real solution was a new filter and doubling the size of the pipe.

Mike

Michael Vining, SB IT Support

South Burlington School District

South Burlington, Vermont 05403