I have attempted managing iPads using Server OSX, but haven't been happy with the results there either.  Uploading apps required user approval for each individual app, which doesn't work well for lower level elementary users.  I was interested in iCloud because Google Docs lacks some of the creativity that Pages and Keynote have.  I guess I'll wait and see what the future holds . . .

Edith Fogarty
Technology Integration Facilitator
Bradford Elementary School
143 Fairground Rd