I have run into two separate limitations from Google on sending to external domains.  One for groups another for Google Apps in general.  Sounds like the individual group would be under their limitations but I wonder if you are running into a domain limitation for the day.  Hopefully the links below clarify a little.

Google Group message limits - https://support.google.com/a/answer/2524618
Google Apps sending limits - https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852?hl=en

-Adrian