October 17, 2013

To:         UVM Community

From:    Wendy Koenig, Director of Federal Relations

RE:        Resolution to Federal Shut Down

Late last night the US House of Representatives and US Senate agreed upon a bill that will re-open and temporarily fund the government, as well as authorize a raise in the debt ceiling. The plan includes:

·      Government funded through January 15, 2014 at sequestration levels

·      Debt limit extended until February 7, 2014

·      A budget conference established to come up with long-term spending plans by December 13, 2013

·      Income verification for recipients of subsidies under the Affordable Care Act's  newly-established exchanges

·      Back pay for furloughed workers

·      A provision that requires a proactive vote to disapprove extending the debt limit, as opposed to having regular votes to raise it

Federal funding agencies will re-open today and begin usual operations. We expect that there will be delays in review of grant submissions and awards. Faculty may now contact their program officers with questions or to ask for guidance. Again, recall that there will be a barrage of inquiries for these workers, so please exercise patience when contacting them.

If you experience any difficulties or have questions regarding the re-opening of the federal government, please feel free to contact me at any time.