[log in to unmask]" alt="">

October 1, 2013

TO:    UVM Community

FROM:    Wendy Koenig, Director of Federal Relations

RE:     Federal Government Partial Shut Down

As you may know, yesterday the United States Congress was unable to reach agreement on a continuing resolution to fund government operations. As of today, the federal government partially will be shut down until an agreement on funding can be reached.

This situation does have implications for us here at the University of Vermont.

All direct loans and Pell grants will remain funded, but their payment disbursements may be delayed due to a reduction of staff at the US Department of Education. Also, any influx of federally funded research grant dollars will be halted until the government is up and running.  Faculty with current federal grants may continue to spend funds on hand. All federal agencies will be closed during the shutdown, with only essential personnel on duty.

We are hopeful that this government closure will be resolved quickly. In the event that it continues for more than seven days, federal agencies will release further guidance on more long term contingencies. Also, for more detailed information on each agency’s shutdown plan, please visit http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/contingency-plans . We will continue to closely monitor this issue and provide you with timely updates as information becomes available. I know that this situation may bring up many questions, so please feel free to contact me with any concerns you may have.