[log in to unmask]" alt="">

October 9, 2013

TO:    UVM Community

FROM:    Wendy Koenig, Director of Federal Relations
                 Jennifer Gagnon, Interim Associate Vice President for Research Administration

RE:     Federal Government Partial Shut Down - Update

As we enter day nine of the partial government shutdown, things remain gridlocked. The US House and Senate have not come to any agreement on funding the government as we inch towards the country’s deadline on raising the debt limit, set for October 17th.

On Capitol Hill, each office has decided which staffers are essential to their operations, so work continues on a limited basis and is focused on finding a solution to this budget crisis. We receive daily reports that Congress continues to attempt to reach a “grand bargain,” which would address deficit reduction, the sequester, spending, taxes, and entitlements, but have yet to find a permanent solution.

This situation continues to impact all of us on campus. Many factors will play into whether or not federally funded activities will be disrupted, including the duration of the shutdown, which federal agency is funding the research, how the research is funded, and what federally supported infrastructure you rely upon to conduct your research. For specific details on each research agency’s shutdown guidance, we recommend you consult the updates provided by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) R&D Budget and Policy program. You can also visit this White House website to read the shutdown plans for all federal agencies. Also, UVM Sponsored Project Administration is providing constant updates that are most relevant on their website (www.uvm.edu/SPA/)

We will continue to monitor the partial government shutdown daily. We encourage anyone with questions to please contact Wendy Koenig in the Office of University Relations or Jennifer Gagnon in SPA at any time. We are here to help.