	*

	October 1, 2013

TO:    UVM Community

FROM:    Wendy Koenig, Director of Federal Relations

RE: *    Federal Government Partial Shut Down*

As you may know, yesterday the United States Congress was unable to
reach agreement on a continuing resolution to fund government
operations. As of today, the federal government partially will be shut
down until an agreement on funding can be reached.

This situation does have implications for us here at the University of
Vermont.

All direct loans and Pell grants will remain funded, but their payment
disbursements may be delayed due to a reduction of staff at the US
Department of Education. Also, any influx of federally funded research
grant dollars will be halted until the government is up and
running.Faculty with current federal grants may continue to spend funds
on hand. All federal agencies will be closed during the shutdown, with
only essential personnel on duty.

We are hopeful that this government closure will be resolved quickly. In
the event that it continues for more than seven days, federal agencies
will release further guidance on more long term contingencies. Also, for
more detailed information on each agency's shutdown plan, please visit
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/contingency-plans . We will continue to
closely monitor this issue and provide you with timely updates as
information becomes available. I know that this situation may bring up
many questions, so please feel free to contact me with any concerns you
may have.

**