	*

	October 17, 2013

To:         UVM Community

From:    Wendy Koenig, Director of Federal Relations

RE: *Resolution to Federal Shut Down*

Late last night the US House of Representatives and US Senate agreed
upon a bill that will re-open and temporarily fund the government, as
well as authorize a raise in the debt ceiling. The plan includes:

·Government funded through January 15, 2014 at sequestration levels

·Debt limit extended until February 7, 2014

·A budget conference established to come up with long-term spending
plans by December 13, 2013

·Income verification for recipients of subsidies under the Affordable
Care Act's  newly-established exchanges

·Back pay for furloughed workers

·A provision that requires a proactive vote to /disapprove/ extending
the debt limit, as opposed to having regular votes to raise it

Federal funding agencies will re-open today and begin usual operations.
We expect that there will be delays in review of grant submissions and
awards. Faculty may now contact their program officers with questions or
to ask for guidance. Again, recall that there will be a barrage of
inquiries for these workers, so please exercise patience when contacting
them.

If you experience any difficulties or have questions regarding the
re-opening of the federal government, please feel free to contact me at
any time.