Rockingham has a naming and numbering of roads ordinance.  It has been helpful when folks want to change a name for reasons such as someone or some business is not located on the road anymore. 


The ordinance requires that the new name be recorded with the original ordinance. 


Ellen Howard

Planning-Zoning Administrator



From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Annette Cappy
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 3:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: recording town road names


A question has just come up about town roads and we are curious how other towns deal with the following:


1.  When a new town road is created, does your selectboard or legislative body pass a resolution accepting the new road/street?


2.  If so, is a copy given to the town clerk to record in a ‘Highway Book’ or some other town record book?


3.  If a road’s name changes from one name to a new name, is the change ‘recorded’ in the town clerk’s office?


Thanks everyone. 




Annette L. Cappy

Brattleboro Town Clerk

230 Main Street, Suite 108

Brattleboro. VT  05301


[log in to unmask]

ph 802-251-8129

fax 802-257-2312