In two days (11/13!) we have the pleasure of hearing from Katie Kinnaird
who we're gotten to know over the past couple months. Her title and
abstract are below.

Same time (noon), same place (Farrell)!

-Andy

-------------

Title: Hierarchical Representation for High-Dimensional Data in Music Tasks

Abstract: We propose a novel hierarchical representation for
high-dimensional, time-sequenced data that encodes relevant
size-appropriate information at several scales. We apply this
representation to Music Information Retrieval (MIR) structure tasks, by
building a signature for each digital score in our data set of Chopin
Mazurka scores. This signature captures repeated structure at several
scales and is naturally hierarchical. Given a particular MIR structure
task, such as locating a chorus or motif of a given musical song or score,
we restrict our analysis to found repetitions of a task-appropriate range
of scales. Including repetitive structure of all possible scales allows our
representation to be applicable to a more diverse set of MIR structure
tasks than other structure representations in the literature that focus
only on the coarsest level of structure.