In two days (11/13!) we have the pleasure of hearing from Katie Kinnaird who we're gotten to know over the past couple months. Her title and abstract are below.

Same time (noon), same place (Farrell)!

-Andy

Title: Hierarchical Representation for High-Dimensional Data in Music Tasks

Abstract: We propose a novel hierarchical representation for high-dimensional, time-sequenced data that encodes relevant size-appropriate information at several scales. We apply this representation to Music Information Retrieval (MIR) structure tasks, by building a signature for each digital score in our data set of Chopin Mazurka scores. This signature captures repeated structure at several scales and is naturally hierarchical. Given a particular MIR structure task, such as locating a chorus or motif of a given musical song or score, we restrict our analysis to found repetitions of a task-appropriate range of scales. Including repetitive structure of all possible scales allows our representation to be applicable to a more diverse set of MIR structure tasks than other structure representations in the literature that focus only on the coarsest level of structure.