From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Schroedter
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: wireless transducers

Hi Paul,

Wireless transducers have been talked about for more than a decade.  When I was at an ultrasound meeting in Australia earlier this year, I played with a wireless system by Siemens/Acuson in the exhibit hall.  I have not seen it here in the states.  The entire instrument was in the transducer and it wirelessly transmitted the data to a monitor that had to be placed within about 15’ of the transducer.  I am not certain what it weighed but not much and was fairly easily maneuvered.  The data was also stored and could be manipulated after.  There were basic controls on transducer - a couple of multi-function buttons (4 as I remember) and a wheel similar to an I-Pod.  I only looked at my arm and have no idea how good it was clinically.  It would seem to be pretty slick for answering  specific question in the ICU or ED where moving even a small system is difficult.  Certainly, doing a complete exam would be very tough, but then I don’t like the smaller portable systems for all day use because of limited user interface which however I admit are improving dramatically.  But clearly, the technology is on the way.

Bill

William B Schroedter, BS, RVT, RPhS, FSVU

Technical Director

Quality Vascular Imaging, Inc

Venice, Florida

(941) 408-8855