[log in to unmask]" alt=""> Office of the President

November 22, 2013

From:   Tom Sullivan

To:      UVM Students

Re:       Thanksgiving Wishes
As we move into the week of Thanksgiving, I want to express my gratitude to each of you – students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends, who make this institution a warm, inclusive, and vibrant community.  The energy, enthusiasm, and creativity you put into your work is felt across campus.  It is this positive spirit that again has brought us national recognition in the media.  Last month an article about our distinctiveness as a public ivy appeared in The Atlantic describing our sense of community, our environmental focus, and our volunteerism.  We know this is an extraordinary place, and we are delighted to share this spectacular landscape and the wealth of opportunities on campus with those who have joined the University from across the country and around the world.

This fall we have continued to advance our educational mission.  We are united by our shared aspirations and our shared values.  This semester, members of our community demonstrated those shared values in many ways.  At the beginning of the term, two UVM soccer players assisted a stranger with multiple sclerosis hiking on Mount Mansfield.  On the last day of Staff Appreciation Week, staff members volunteered at local organizations including the Ronald McDonald House.  Professor Cecilia Danks with the students in her community-based natural resource management course continue to work to save Vermont’s ash trees and protect local forests by launching a public ash awareness program.  I am proud that our campus continues to be distinguished by public engagement, altruism, a strong sense of community, a concern for the environment, and a furtherance of life-long learning.

Leslie and I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.  We hope that your time with family and friends is relaxing and restorative and that your holiday celebration is joyful.

With deep appreciation and thanks for all you do for UVM.