Most of you probably know this already, but for those who haven't
encountered the information yet...waterfowl hunters use shotguns, not
rifles. Rifles fire a single bullet, which can travel long distances at
speeds approaching 3000 fps and are not suitable or legal for hunting
waterfowl. Shotguns fire about an ounce of small steel (steel or another
amalgam to prevent waterfowl from being poisoned through eating spent lead
shot that falls in the water) pellets that spread out and cover an area of
a couple of square feet, thus one can hit and kill a flying duck or goose,
if one is pretty good.

Vermont Fish and Wildlife Access Areas, including the access areas at
places like Dead Creek and Sandbar, are purchased and developed using funds
generated through taxes levied on hunting and fishing equipment sales at
the state and federal level and probably from hunting and fishing license
sales, as well. It is true that the primary purpose of these areas is to
provide access to lands and waters for hunters and fishermen. Activities
like picnicking, swimming, or parking your car while biking are generally
prohibited at boat launch areas. If people are able to use these access
areas for launching kayaks and canoes or other pleasure boats or for other
purposes, like parking and birdwatching, they should keep in the back of
their minds the source of the funds to make it possible. These lands would
otherwise be in private hands and often totally off limits to us.

While hunting ducks at a busy place like the Shelburne access is not my cup
of tea, I am aware of the right of others to do so. Remember that almost
all hunters pursue their sport safely and responsibly. If you see someone
doing otherwise, please report it to your local game warden. It's good for
all of us.

If we all are familiar with the guidelines, we should all be able to enjoy
these areas together to the benefit of all.

An enthusiastic fisher, hunter, and birder,
Charlie La Rosa
Brattleboro