slight correction:  I meant Goose Viewing area on route 17!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alison Wagner
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] Snowy Owl in Addison County

This afternoon, before dusk, six eager birders hoped for Short-eared owls on
Gage road.  We noticed there is less tall grass/vegetation along the edge of
the woods on the south side of the road and farmed field where we usually
get lucky with sightings.  Tonight we looked to the north side of the road,
facing the Goose Viewing area on 22A.   While scanning with the scope along
the edge of the fields for Short-eared Owls, I chanced upon a "retailed
hawk," (a.k.a. plastic bag impersonating a bird). Only it was a Snowy Owl.
Everyone had good looks. We watched it until it was dark: flying, perching
in a tree, out in a field (consuming prey). When we left, traveling east on
Gage Road, we came upon it perched on a posted sign. We watched if for a few
minutes before it flew to the utility pole and perched again.   We enjoyed
close up looks while it demonstrated its flexible neck, turning about 270
degrees.  (I couldn't help but think it would be a lot easier to just turn
in the other direction, a mere 90 degrees......)  This was the second time
within a week that I've had a Snowy Owl as a consolation prize.  Now that's
what I call BIRDING!

Ali
Huntington