I ventured out on the Colchester Causeway this afternoon amid calm, but cool conditions. Just north of Law Island there was a flock of nearly 3000 scaup that extended almost to the "cut'. This flock appeared to contain both Lesser and Greater Scaup, although I could not make a precise count because of the distance. Other birds of interest included a flock of 35 Snow Buntings picking at the gravel along the trail, two Common Loons, 15 Mallards, 14 American Black Ducks, a Horned Grebe, a Red-necked Grebe, and the usual gulls.

At the beginning of the trail there is a Road Closed sign, but there is no work being done on the trail out to the "cut" as far as I could tell. On the other hand, when I visited South Hero last week there is work being done on the Allen Point road to the Causeway and the parking lot is blocked off. Also, there is a sign at the beginning of the road posted by our friends from the VT F&W Dept. that indicates that the parking lot at the end of the road is for anglers only.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington