We're not doing 1:1 yet, but for the several hundred laptops we have on
campus, the accidental damage rate tends to be pretty steady, at just a
percent or so a year, so it would be silly to pay for insurance, the
insurer would make out like a bandit.  The greater risk, IMO, is that even
the best manufacturers occasionally make a bum design, and the thing won't
last the 4 years we'd want to get out of a 1:1 machine.  We buy our
teachers new laptops every 3-4 years, and the old ones go into carts, and
the machines coming out of carts get discarded.  So we get 6-7 years out
of the average laptop.  I've had models where 95% of them last those 6
years without ever needing service, and other models (the Dell Dimension
505 comes to mind) where 1/3 of them needed new motherboards in the first
three years.

Lest you Apple fans get too smug, our elementary schools had the same luck
with a particular 15" G4 iBook...

So the real crap shoot isn't on damage protection, it's on whether or not
you purchase extended warrantees.  What we really need is to assume some
risk ourselves, but have some sort of stop-loss policy in place to guard
against this.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418