Maria,

We are using quite a few on line programs in our K-8 school.  Our criteria for choosing these are;

That they cover content that is currently being taught in our classrooms.

We are looking for areas where students need to practice (put in their 10,000 hours) for mastery.

We look for sites using technology to motivate, we would like the kids to willingly use these tools outside the classroom.  Specifically we look for game based learning environments.

We require that there be a feedback loop for the teacher.  Reporting and assessment that can be included in the student's portfolio.

Reading Eggs Grade K & 1
SumDog (Math and Language) Grades 1-6
Spelling City Grades 1-8
Raz Kids, Learning A-Z Grades 1-6
Manga High Grades 6-8
Buzz Math Grades 7-8
Typing Club Grades 3 & 4

All of these sites require the student to log in (required if the teacher is to get feedback on their progress).  Maintaining all these accounts, is quite a chore.  The kids seem to do OK having so many logins, but inevitably passwords are forgotten etc.  Several of these allow you to use your Google login to authenticate.  We really favor the sites that do that as it simplifies using these tools for everyone.

Craig Lyndes
St Albans City School