Last week was amazing.. we (VErmont educators)  did SO much to put the
spotlight on innovation in our schools.   A topic that came up  during this
past week in my conversations with some of you  was that "while hour of
code" put a spotlight on innovation, it also highlighted some glaring
equity issues.

And then this article came across my 'feed' ... also touching on equity

Is it time to delve into a conversation about equity?    (Here)  or in some
other conversation space?  I posted this quote from the article below as
well as  on the following  two Forums.. anyone want to talk?

Vita-Learn Forum
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LuciedeLaBruere/posts/F5wTGagg5mQ

Apps, Coding, Games, and Robots Community
https://plus.google.com/+LuciedeLaBruere/posts/PYo594e3dNG

Here is the quote from the Digital Promise  article, would love to discuss
this....

" the problem with education in America is not lack of excellence; there
are pockets of excellence that outshine the best of the best around the
world. All across the country, students are designing, coding, composing,
animating and publishing. They are experimenting and solving problems of
water and energy, creating guides to local treasures and developing global
competence through virtual exchanges that connect students across cultural
and national borders."

And all across the country, innovative education leaders and classroom
teachers are engaging, motivating and nurturing students to develop
mindsets for lifelong learning.

The problem with our schools is not lack of excellence. It’s lack of equity.

http://www.digitalpromise.org/karen-cator-big-idea-2014/

--
Lucie deLaBruere
www.LearningWithLucie.com