Only the Nexus 7 tablet is currently compatible with the Google Play for Education store.  They will be adding in the ASUS Transformer and another Android tablet made by HP early in 2014 (rumor is the Nexus 10 will be compatible as well).

Here's what I got from Google:
As for the tablets, only the new Nexus 7 Android tablets are currently compatible with our Google Play for Education store.  Below is some information on the new program:
*  School Video<http://youtu.be/vzvpcEffvaE>- This video shows the experience of Hillsborough Schools launching 1:1 Tablets with Google Play for Education. A must watch!
*  The Program overview<http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/edu/tablets/pdfs/Program_Overview.pdf>, Google Play for Education<http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/edu/tablets/pdfs/Google_Play_for_Education_Overview.pdf> one sheet, & Top Tools for School <http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/edu/tablets/pdfs/Top_Tools_for_Schools.pdf>
*  Case studies: Hillsborough<http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/edu/tablets/pdfs/Google-Play-for-Education-Hillsborough.pdf>, KIPP<http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/edu/tablets/pdfs/KIPP_Case_Study.pdf>, Baldwi<http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/edu/tablets/pdfs/Baldwin-Case-Study.pdf>n
*  Google+ Community<https://plus.google.com/communities/105634960151510897925>- Teachers started this G+ Community for tablets with Google Play for Education. Please follow this group!
*  Site visit at Hillsborough- If you are interested to visit a school and understand how they are utilizing Tablets + Google Play in Education, a site visit will be organized on Feb 13th, 2014. You can register here<http://www.htps.us/sitevisit>.
Hope that helps,
Mike

Michael Vining, SB IT Support
South Burlington School District