At MSJ the cost of breakage was about 10% cost of the program.  Which meant that more than 10% of the computers broke, but the cost to fix those came to be about 10%.   Broken screens were the largest culprit.   Out of 3 years I only had 2 that needed complete replacement due to mis-use, nothing stolen.

I did learn a few things.
1. Don't expect a sub-$300 device to last 4 years.   At FHU we are going 1:1 next year and I plan to do a 2 year fair market value lease.  This allows us to replace the devices every 2 years, and not have to pay the full cost of the device.
3. Loose hinges will destroy a device!!!!!!  This started on Year 2, but the hinges started loosing.   If the plastic mount breaks because the screws were loose the device is instantly turned into a parts machine.

   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003
My Sites
 ~ Edlisten.com Educational Podcast

gClassFolders ~ Create Google folders for your class.