Howdy,

This morning I managed to get a great deal from the downtown Holiday
Inn.  If you want a fun stay - stay there.  It is close to the Commons
which has lots of great restaurants and is fun to stroll in even if it
is very cold.  They've set aside 10 rooms but will set aside more if
these go quickly.  There are other blocks at slightly better rates at
other hotels as well.

Please check out the invite - I need someone looking over my shoulder
these days.  Let me know if there are any errors or questions.

Thanks,

Scott
IC

Ithaca College Spring Tournaments

Sydne Landon IV

Novice WUDC National Championship

Dear friends,

The Ithaca College Speech and Debate is pleased to host debates this
spring.In the Sydne Landon Tournament we'll offer Worlds Style Open
debating and three divisions of CEDA/NDT style debating.We'll also be
hosting the 3^rd annual US Novice WUDC Championship.Both tournaments
will be held *February 8-9* on the Ithaca College campus in Ithaca, NY.

The tournaments are open to U.S. and international colleges and
universities.

The Sydne Landon IV will feature six preliminary debates and elimination
rounds determined by the number of participants.There will be a division
for British Parliamentary ("Worlds") format.There will also be three
divisions for CEDA/NDT policy debate.The topic for the Policy debates
will be:

Resolved: The United States Federal Government should substantially
increase statutory and/or judicial restrictions on the war powers
authority of the President of the United States in one or more of the
following areas: targeted killing; indefinite detention; offensive cyber
operations; or introducing United States Armed Forces into hostilities.

The US Novice WUDC Nationals will feature six preliminary debates and
elimination rounds determined by the number of participants. All rounds
will be debated in the British Parliamentary ("Worlds") format. The
*definition of Novice* we will be using is a student who has never
competed in any form of college-level debate before this academic year.

We expect all teams to be in compliance with N-1. There will be penalty
fees for any uncovered teams.

Entry fees will be $40 per person (including judges and others in
attendance) and an additional $200 for each uncovered registered
team.Meal passes are available for an additional $5 per participant.
There will be coffee and light refreshments each morning.

We are also delighted to announce that our Chief Adjudicator for the
Worlds style events will be Leah Salgado.Mary Nugent and Paul Gross will
be providing assistance in the Worlds tab as well.The tab staff for the
policy portion of the tournament will be announced soon.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll in Ithaca,

Scott Thomson

DOF Ithaca College

Provisional Schedule:

Sat., February 8th, 2014

07:00 AM Breakfast & Late Registration
07:30 AM Policy Pairings
08:00 AM Policy Round 1

08:00 AM Worlds Briefing - Mandatory for Debaters and Judges

09:00 AM Worlds Round 1 - Motion Released
10:30 AM Policy Round 2
11:00 AM Worlds Round 2 - Motion Released
01:00 PM Lunch
02:00 PM Policy Round 3
02:00 PM Worlds Round 3 - Motion Released
04:00 PM Worlds Round 4 - Motion Released
04:30 PM Policy Round 4
06:00 PM Worlds Round 5 - Motion Released

Sun., February 9th, 2014

07:00 AM Breakfast
07:30 AM Policy Pairings
08:00 AM Policy Round 5
08:00 AM Worlds sign-in
08:15 AM Disqualification of absent Worlds teams
08:30 AM Worlds Round 6 - Motion Released
10:30 AM Worlds Elimination - Motion Released
10:30 AM Policy Round 6 & First Elimination Round
01:00 PM Lunch
02:00 PM Eliminations Continue

Information about Entries:

Worlds (Novice and Open):

  Please email your entries for the Worlds Divisions to
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.Registration will close
Wednesday, February 5^th at 5:00 p.m. EST.

Policy Debate Entries:

We request that you enter the tournament for policy debate using
_tabroom.com <http://tabroom.com>_. Tournament registration via
_tabroom.com <http://tabroom.com>_ will be open shortly -- registration
will close Wednesday, February 5th, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. EST.

General Logistical Information:

The Campus Center is where breakfast and registration will take place.
Maps of the campus are available at http://www.ithaca.edu/map/

Lunches -- this year we are experimenting with a new system for
lunches.You can purchase a ticket for the dining hall in the Campus
center which will be; fast, include lots of choices, and sustainable.The
meal passes will cost $5 and the number of passes desired should be
indicated when you register.

The tournament has secured blocks of rooms at a few local hotels -

*The Trip Hotel*( http://triphotelithaca.com/) and the *Ramada Ithaca*
(http://www.ramada.com/hotels/new-york/ithaca/ramada-ithaca-executive-conference-center/hotel-overview)
both have rooms blocked for 89.95 and 99.95 respectively.This block is
reserved until January 24, 2014.These hotels are located near to each
other. Call (607) 257-3100 ask for Deanna Lockwood and ask for the block
under Ithaca College Debate Tournament.

*The Best Western University
Inn*(_http://bestwesternuniversityinnithaca.com/_). We have arranged for
a block of rooms at $79.00 each. The block closes on January 10, 2014.
To secure rooms, call the hotel and speak to Jim McMann and say that
you're with the Ithaca Debate Tournament. Please call (607) 272-6100
ext. 4715.

*The Holiday
Inn*(http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/ithaca/ithce/hoteldetail
) is near to the Commons which is a fantastic place to wander for dining
and entertainment.We have a small block of rooms there for $99.00 a
night which is a great deal for "downtown" Ithaca.Their number is (607)
272-1000.Ask for rooms held for Ithaca Debate.This block is released on
January 7, 2014.

Restaurants -- Ithaca has plenty.We'll have local guides available at
registration.