Greetings all. I wanted to share this link in the hopes that some students
might be interested. This specific project is designed to help students
become familiar with BP. We are also hoping to learn from these practices
as we proceed to integrate google hangouts with tabroom.com.

Email Alex at [log in to unmask]<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>
if
you have students that could help. Please feel free to let me know if you
have any questions about the larger project.

Thanks
Gordon

Experienced British Parliamentary format debaters needed for online debate
project
Submitted by Alexander Cavell <http://idebate.org/users/alexander-cavell> on

   - IDEA Network News <http://idebate.org/category/news/idea-network-news>

IDEA UK is looking for six experienced university-level debaters based in
the UK or the Republic of Ireland to take part in a series of online
debates with members of a debating society from the Ukraine and a number of
debaters from EU countries.

The debates will utilise Google Hangouts technology and will use the
British Parliamentary (BP)/ World Universities Debating Championships
(WUDC) format. For more information about the British Parliamentary/ WUDC
format, read Neill Harvey Smith’s Practical Guide to Debating, available as
a free Creative Commons Licenced download from this link:
http://idebate.org/sites/live/files/9781617700163-web.pdf

After a successful trial run over the summer, IDEA UK wants to continue
testing the potential of Google’s Hangouts system as a debating tool, and
is also working to introduce BP format debating to university debaters who
have trained and competed in other formats.

Debaters who want to get involved with the project must have access to a
computer with a broadband internet connection and a microphone. They will
also need to set up a Google user account, but these are free and easy to
create.

Anyone who would like to take part in the upcoming round of online debates
should send an [log in to unmask]<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>
before
noon on 16 December. The email must include:

   1. The sender’s full name;
   2. The university they are studying at;
   3. The degree they are reading for;
   4. A brief list of debating competitions that they have taken part in,
   either as a speaker or as a judge.

We are also interested in applications from debaters with previous
experience of the British Parliamentary format who are based outside the
UK, and who would be eligible for the English-as-a-Second-Language or
English-as-a-Foreign-Language breaks at WUDC.

This is a great opportunity for IoNA debaters who are planning to attend
WUDC Chennai to get in some last minute practice, while also helping
debaters new to the international circuit learn more about one of the
world’s most popular debating formats.

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California
Cell: (213) 915-8201     Office: 213 740 2759     Fax: 213-740-2706
www.usctrojandebate.com                                Twitter: gstables