*

December 10, 2013

Ambassador Samantha Power, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United
Nations, to Speak at 2014 Commencement

Samantha Power, the United States Ambassador to the United Nations, will
be the guest speaker and receive an honorary degree at the University of
Vermont's 2014 spring commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 18, on the
University Green.

Ambassador Power, a member of President Barack Obama's cabinet, has held
the post of U.N. Ambassador since August 2013. She formerly served as
special assistant to the President and Senior Director for Multilateral
Affairs and Human Rights at the National Security Council.

Power is an accomplished journalist, the Pulitzer Prize winning author
of /'A Problem from Hell': America and the Age of Genocide /(2002) and
/Chasing the Flame: Sergio Viera de Mello and the Fight to Save the
World /(2008). She has reported from such places as Bosnia, East Timor,
Kosovo, Rwanda, Sudan and Zimbabwe. Power has been a columnist for /Time
Magazine/ and contributed regularly to the N/ew Yorker Magazine/, the
/New York Review of Books/ and the /New Republic/.

A graduate of Yale University and Harvard Law School, Power also served
as the Anna Lindh Professor of the Practice of Global Leadership and
Public Policy at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government, where
she taught courses on U.S. foreign policy, human rights, and extremism
and where she was the founding executive director of the Carr Center for
Human Rights Policy.

"We are deeply pleased that Ambassador Power will join us in celebrating
the graduation of the University of Vermont Class of 2014," said
President Tom Sullivan. "We look forward to welcoming her to Vermont and
having Ambassador Power share with our community the inspiration and
insight of an individual with such a diverse array of accomplishments as
a leader, writer and scholar."

*UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATIONS *
86 South Williams Street
Burlington, VT 05401-3404
Phone (802) 656-2005 . Fax (802) 656-3203
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Online: www.uvm.edu/~uvmpr
	Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer