Ann,
I think you will find that using eBird allows you to keep your life list
across the entire world AND contribute to science and conservation. You can
upload all your old data using a spreadsheet if you'd like. I'd be happy to
show you how to use it, or I am sure there are eBirders near you that
wouldn't mind. This is completely free. Please have a look at it if you
have time. There is also a fairly substantial help and about section too.
Our portal is at http://ebird.org/content/vt/ for Vermont, but you can use
any portal to eBird as all the data go to the same vast database.

Whatever you do, please don't throw away any bird records! We collect any
and all records in our office and we have many amazing notebooks that folks
have given us for safe keeping.

Enjoy,
Kent

____________________________