Hi VTbirders,

There's been a large flock of geese that spend their time between Lake
Dunmore and the flooded corn fields west of Shard Villa Road along the
Salisbury/Middlebury line for the last few weeks. My house happens to be
right along their flyway between the two sites. Last night just before
dark, I watched the flock pass over and noted one very small goose among
them. I checked the lake first thing this morning but was unable to pick
out any particular goose because the steam coming off the water was too
dense and many of the birds were resting with heads tucked. I tried again
around 930 and they were closer to shore and most were alert with heads
raised, giving me the opportunity to scan through them until finally I
picked out what I believe was the bird I saw last night- a CACKLING GOOSE.
There were lots of Mallards and American Black Ducks (among other species)
mixed in with the geese, which gave a good size comparison for this bird,
which appeared only slightly larger than a Black Duck sitting beside it.
This goose/duck flock is just offshore from Branbury Beach and consists of
at least 500 geese, although I did not take the time to count them so it
could be quite a bit more than that even.

Happy Decembirding,
Tyler Pockette