Hi all,

I stopped at Shelburne Bay yesterday around 1:30 p.m. Straight out from the big rock were 2 ducks feeding together. When I got them in my scope, I saw one female Ruddy Duck and another duck that at first glance could have been mistaken for a male nonbreeding Ruddy Duck. I looked it over quite carefully and saw that it was actually a female Black Scoter. It was quite a bit larger and its' bill was thinner than the Ruddy Duck next to it.
I thought these 2 girls were worthy of note for two reasons. 1) I had never seen those 2 species together before. 2) I don't often see either species in December. Good luck to those that try for them. I hope they are still there because it is a good opportunity to study them together.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead