On a day where almost all the colors were in a palette ranging from whitish-gray to blackish-gray, I saw three wonderful birds with the same palette: two Long-Tailed Ducks under the bridge to NYS, a "Gray Ghost" sharing a field off Jersey Street with an immature harrier, and a Northern Shrike at Brilyea.

There were many flocks of Canada Geese overhead. In one, there was one slightly shorter and considerably skinnier bird flying with a downward crook in its neck, so that the plane of its head was lower than the plane of its body. The only thing I can think of is a cormorant, but I can't remember ever seeing a cormorant fly with its head that low. Any other ideas?

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center