An impromptu visit to Putney Meadows off of River Road, Putney, about 3:00 PM yielded a light Snowy Owl sitting in the corn stubble on the river side of the field. I observed the owl for ~45 minutes as it rested, preened, and just looked around before it flew/ glided low above the snow. It landed in a tree bordering the river and was still perched there when I was finally able to pull myself away from viewing this mesmerizing bird. My only regret was not having others there to share the experience.
Also a first winter N. Shrike was perched in a tree on the corner of Bonnyvale Rd. and Mather Rd. in W. Brattleboro, probably the same bird I reported about a week ago.